Sunday, September 27, 2009

There are very few totally cloudless days in Bali

There are very few totally cloudless days in Bali, so it was with shock and a wonderful sense of awe and delight that whilst driving home along one of Bali’s main roads between Canggu and Ubud earlier today that I looked up to see this bloody great volcano right in front of me. It was always there of course, but for eight and a half years I have driven along this road and every time it must have been hidden by cloud as I have never whilst travelling along that stretch of road, seen it before.

Now the amount of traffic on these roads and the reckless driving of the Balinese is usually enough to have me gritting my teeth, keeping my head down and my wits about me, but today on coming upon that awesome sight, my mood changed dramatically. I immediately became thankful for the sheer beauty of it, and the traffic or at least my negative reaction to it totally dissipated. I was suddenly very grateful for the privilege of living here, for the clear blue skies, the stunning scenery and miraculously, near empty roads. Today has been a very good day. Feeling grateful feels very very good

No comments:

Post a Comment