Thursday, September 17, 2009

Things to do when bored

This blog came into existence 5 minutes ago. I'm sat in Biku, a tea house opened by my good friend Asri in Semiyak in the south of Bali. Biku occupies a gorgeous Javenese Joglo ( or 2 ) It has that 1930's colonial feel and is a popular hang out with expats and tourists.
I'm here doing tea leaf readings and tarot readings..except today is deathly quiet and so I thought i'd create a blog. Why you may ask ( you might! )

Looking for something to do led me to google Julie Powells Julie / Julia Project
because another good friend (I have lots I'll have you know), knowing my appetite for books gave me the Julie / Julia book. This was 3 days ago. I took it with me to Candidasa ( I live in Ubud in Bali.Indonesia) . Having devoured it in a few hours due to rain, blackout and no food in the fridge, I felt the need to find out more about her blog and blogging. It's not that I hadnt thought of doing this before ..but why would I? why am I ? to be honest..because its quiet here in Biku and I've nothing better to do!!!

So, hello blogworld, I have for the moment joined in. I dont know if it will last..but if business is slow and nothing much else is happening I might do what millions of you out there do when you have nothing else you want to do more..ie blather on, get it off my chest, indulge myself, etc.

Anyway it occurs to me I have a question..Julie talks about cooking with sticks of butter...she is American, I'm English, what is a stick of butter? What does it weigh? What is a cup of something in terms of weight? If a recipe calls for a cup of flour...how much flour is that exactly?? what size is the cup? what does the flour weigh!!!!!

OK, Im not sure if I will be back or not..probably will...need to know what a stick of butter is
Jan

1 comment: